Thursday, June 14, 2012

Aliens have probably done some really cool things.

My father has done many great things.  Recently, he climbed Mount Everest.  He told me that each step he took during the most difficult part of the trek he said to himself, "What any man has done, can be done again." 

People have written books.  They have danced for hours on pointed toe.  People have ridden giant waves and created Vulcan languages in their minds.  People built the Chrysler building, they invented camembert. 

Some people have chosen to sit in caves all their lives singing to a mostly deaf world about things that are invisible.  Others staple their scrotums to their bellies.  A person paints.  A person makes music so real, people scream and cry for or because of it.  Aliens (if they are also considered people) have probably done some really cool things.

To me, it is radically enticing and equally scary to think of doing great things.  And what are great things without other people around to call them "great."  Sometimes, I imagine I am a princess, locked high in a tower.  I can do nothing, the burden of free will is not mine to bear.  I can simply sit there and write and think and breathe and play lonely games of Yahtzee all day long. 

2 comments:

  1. I'd come and play Yahtzee with you Kat. (tho I'd need you to please teach me first)
    We could come up with some interesting ways to pass the time
    Look at the stars! They're there through the bars.
    Look up, it's bright, even though in in here it's night. But really just only night time seeming, that is, knowing how to look at it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider everything you do or don't do, extraordinary. As you write, not doing is as important as doing. What would YOU consider great? Why does it have to be great? Can it just be joyful and fulfilling to you?

    ReplyDelete